Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Old Fashioned Popcorn...


My children love popcorn!  They ask for it nearly every day.  Target is know as the Popcorn Store to the Little Man because we must have a bag before we embark on any shopping adventure.  Microwave popcorn has been a snack staple of our home for quite some time.

As I mentioned previously, we are trying to live a healthier lifestyle.  In my quest to rid our home of artificial foods, I looked at the ingredients on microwave popcorn and nearly had a heart attack!  It is full of junk!  On our next grocery trip, I was promptly reminded that we needed "real" popcorn.

My first attempt at "real" popcorn was a flop.  The kernels burned, but never popped. I was now more determined than ever master the art of popcorn.  Here is what I learned...

Add a tablespoon of oil to large pan with a lid.

Heat oil and one kernel of popcorn over medium high heat with the lid on.

Wait for the kernel to pop.  It is now time to add your butter and popcorn.

Add 1 tablespoon of butter.

Let it melt and sizzle...

And sizzle a little more.

Now it is time to add your popcorn.  I used about 1/3 of a cup.

Swirl it around and get all the butter and oil on the kernels.

Replace the lid and gently shake the pan until the corn begins to pop!
 
Before you know it, the pan will be full of light and fluffy popcorn!  

Empty into a bowl and season with salt, and if you are my daughter, a little fresh cracked black pepper.  Enjoy!

I know to some this looks like a lot of trouble to make a bowl of popcorn, but I promise, one bite and you won't go back to the microwave.  It is delightful, fresh and best of all not laden with icky stuff that is bad for you!

Until next time, keep adventuring and looking for joy in the small details of life!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment