Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Summer is here! My take on Squash Chips

I can't believe we are already through Memorial Day, and that means summer is in full swing.  We are really enjoying the fun activities of summer and the children are loving spending time at the swimming pool.  Mommy on the other hand, still has some winter pounds I would like to shed.  I am trying to eat healthy and make sure that I eat only whole foods that are low in fat and calories.

Since it is summer, squash is in season. It is very versatile and easy to prepare. I tried to make squash chips, and thought they would be a fabulous snack poolside.  Well, I confess to you my friends, the first batch was an epic fail!  Yes, I admit, I have flops too.  Needless to say, I sliced the squash too thin on my mandolin and they stuck to the pan, and even pulled the nonstick finish off one.  Let's just say the pan and the squash chips are in the garbage!

My second attempt was much more successful, and are very tasty.  I won't lie, they are not potato chips, but they are a delicious alternative.

So, here is my take on squash chips. Remember, squash has lots of water, and they shrink up.  I can only get two big pans in my oven, but that's OK, because it is enough for me and me only!

I sliced my squash on a mandolin, so be careful, it will slice fingers too.  These were too thin, but the next thicker plate was perfect!

Place the squash on a single layer on a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet. sprinkle with Kosher salt and pepper.  Or better yet, be creative and try different spices.  I think basil and rosemary might be the next batch.  Bake at 325 degrees until crispy and lightly golden.  Mine took about three and a half hours.

The finished chips... don't laugh, these are zucchini, but I forgot to photograph all the steps.  They work just as well.
I hope you enjoy these as much as I did.  Just remember, they shrink up and don't make as many as you think they will.

Until next time, keep adventuring and looking for joy in the small details of life!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment