Saturday, February 25, 2012

Vanilla Cupcakes... Weight Watcher Friendly

Vanilla Cupcake that is only 1 Weight Watchers Point Plus!

OK my friends, I am officially back on the bandwagon. I will get this weight off if it kills me!!!  I am counting points and back to tracking everything that goes in my mouth.  I must say, when you count up every little thing I am amazed at how fast my points go. I know the first week is always the hardest, and I am determined to make it! Tonight I even went and exercised because I am hungry and wanted a few more points for dinner.  I know, pathetic!  However, when all was said and done, I didn't even need those activity points and they are banked for another day!  Yea Me!!!

My weakness is dessert.  I love all things sweet, and I really needed a little pick-me-up. Scott's birthday is tomorrow, and he was asking for vanilla cake.  I know if I make them I will eat one, so I was on a mission to create a low-point cupcake. I found a recipe that was very intriguing and made it my own to suit my personal taste.  The original was on the Biggest Loser website, and it is close, but I think mine is better.

This cupcake is a little more complicated than some, but when you consider it is only 1 point without frosting, it is well worth the little bit of extra effort.  Think angel food cake on vanilla steroids.  Not exactly spongy like Angel Food, but similar.  Let's get this straight... it is not the great buttery cake I like to make, but definitely a great dessert when you are worried about calories or fat.  Because of the lift you achieve with the egg whites, I am almost positive you could make this with Gluten Free Flour and have great results if you are on a gluten free diet.

If you are really feeling adventurous, go ahead and make a strawberry short cake with it.  It would be divine!

In the bowl of your stand mixer beat 5 egg whites until they get good and foamy.

Looks like they are about there.
Slowly add sugar and continue beating at medium high speed. 
Beat until semi- stiff peaks form.  These are perfect!


Add Greek yogurt and vanilla and fold in gently.


Continue to gently fold in the yogurt and vanilla.  Be careful not to overmix.


In a small bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder and mix well.

Add flour mixture to egg white mixture and continue to fold in gently.

And fold it in more...

The batter will not be smooth, but don't worry... You don't want to break up the egg whites.

Evenly divide batter between 12 muffin cups lined with baking cups.  Mine were pretty full. Don't worry, it will work out great!

A pan of pretty little diet friendly cupcakes.  I just wish you could smell them!

So, here is the recipe...

5 egg whites
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vanilla fat-free Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Beat egg whites in a super clean bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment until foamy.  Slowly add sugar while the mixer is running and continue beating until semi-firm peaks form. See photo for illustration.  Add yogurt and vanilla and gently fold into egg white mixture.

In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.  Mix well. Fold flour mixture into egg white mixture until combined.  Be careful not to overmix the batter.

Evenly divide into 12 muffin tins that have been lined with paper baking cups.  Bake at 325 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly browned and the spring back when touched lightly.

Allow to cool on a wire rack and dust with powdered sugar before serving.

I hope you enjoy this recipe and hopefully I will be inspired to make more delicious foods that are in agreement with my new lifestyle.  I am open to any ideas you might have, and I will try and help you on your journey too.  I have found in my weight loss journey, planning and being prepared are the only way to succeed.  I am going to do this, and you can too!

Until next time, keep adventuring and looking for joy in the small details of life!

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Good for you!!! And - these do sound yummy. I had success with WW a few years ago and should really do it again. I'm not bad about exercising (actually, I've been enjoying that)... it's the tracking food and making healthy choices that I struggle with. Keep sharing recipes and keep me posted on your success -- maybe I'll be inspired!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I make a cake with this mix? instead of muffins..

    ReplyDelete