Monday, September 19, 2011

Italian Love Nests... A Fun Twist on Alfredo

Italian Love Nests


My name is Sarah and I have an addiction to reading cookbooks.  So, I have confessed, it is out in the open and maybe now I will be on the road to recovery.  Not hardly, I just can't help myself! Surprising, I know.  I tried to control my inner desire to buy more, and they just keep showing up on my doorstep, and then I read them cover to cover, just like most people would read a novel. I can't help myself! I just love to see what other ideas our out there.  This love of cookbooks is so bad, I have others on the hunt to complete some of the series I have started.  A few weeks ago, my sister-in-law was in a thrift store and found eight volumes from the '80's I didn't have.  I felt like it was Christmas. I am installing new shelving to my kitchen to hold all of these cookbooks that are going to land me on an episode of Hoarders...

Trying new recipes can be a fun adventure, however, very rarely do I follow the instruction to the tee.  I know the flavors we like, and what we don't, so I make it all my own.  If I make something that I think might be pushing the envelope, I don't ever try it out on Scott.  This past weekend I tried basil and lime cupcakes, and our friends were the taste-testers.  Even though it sounds strange, they were delightful. I will post the recipe later in the week.

The Italian Love Nest recipe started out from a new cookbook that came in the mail a few weeks ago.  After making the sauce by the book, I realized that it was lacking something.  Seriously lacking something known as flavor!  By the time I was finished, I am happy to share this recipe with you and know that you will like this as much as we did. 

I know that Italian Love Nests is an odd name, but just think twisted fettuccine Alfredo.  Basically you make a cream sauce with heavy whipping cream and wine and swirl it with Angel Hair pasta and bake until firm in individual muffin tins.  

This was very simple, and I had three unknowing Guinea pigs try them before I did.  Brave and crazy, but it was fun. My father-in-law was the funniest. He thought it was going to be sweet, and ended up being ultra savory.  His lady friend liked them too as well as my girlfriend who returned my daughter.

So, here is how simple it is...

I prepped my ingredients before I started the sauce.  This was important because it came together very fast.  As you can see, I couldn't find Prosciutto, so had to settle for country style ham.

I cooked the country style ham in a heavy skillet prior to make the sauce, just to ease my mind and know that it was safe to eat...Then, remove from heat

Add all ingredients to the pan and wait on you pasta to finish boiling.

Then chase a Little Man who escaped out the back door while I was making the sauce.

Pour prepared sauce over hot drained pasta and toss to coat.

Swirl pasta into greased muffin cups.  This was a little tricky on the first ones and you can see I was a little less than careful.  Top with remaining sauce in the pan and a green olive.

Bake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees and then remove from oven and allow to cool about 5 minutes in the pan. Remove from pan and place on your favorite serving dish.  Aren't they pretty?  I am really in an individual portion mood lately, and these fit right in.  Enjoy!
This was a great way to make a fun presentation. I think I might just try mac and cheese, or even spaghetti in an individual portion size.  The children thought this was fun too.  

Here is my recipe...

Italian Love Nests

8 ounces Angel Hair pasta, or about 1/2 a package
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 1/4 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
6 thin slices prosciutto, chopped fine, or thin sliced country style ham
1/4 cup dry white wine, or a little more...
2 large eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
12 pimento stuffed green olives

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray.  Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add pasta and cook until al dente, stirring often.  Drain pasta and return to pot.

While pasta is cooking, combine cream, Parmesan, prosciutto, wine, eggs, sage, basil, garlic, pepper, salt and nutmeg together, then pour over hot pasta and toss to combine.

Using tongs, portion pasta mixture into prepared muffin tins, twisting pasta in cups to form uniform nests.  Pour remaining sauce evenly over pasta.  Press an olive into each nest.  

Place in oven and bake until centers are set and tops are golden brown. About 20 to 25 minutes.  Let nests cool in pan about 5 minutes, then run a small knife around the edges, unmold and serve warm.

I hope you enjoy this fun side dish as much as we did.

Until next time, keep adventuring and looking for joy in the small details of life!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment