Thursday, February 16, 2012

Valentines + Cookies = Huge Success!

Since I am the wanna-be over-achiever Mom, I some how was in charge of her class party.  Not a big issue, but you have to coordinate with the other Mom's and throw something together I let Pickle's help me with our party planning, since she was the reason for my involvement.  She doesn't eat cake, and really doesn't eat cookies, but her friends helped her with their thoughts.  She did request chocolate covered strawberries, and they were added to our party as well.

 I am not a big fan of Valentine's day, but it is fun for the kiddos to have a reason to overload on sugar and an excuse for a party.

What says Happy Valentines Day better than the little message candies?  I think a sugar cookie!  For Pickle's school Valentine's Day party, I thought sugar cookies with little messages would be just the perfect treat.



Cookies go over much better than cupcakes, and I think it is because they are easy to eat.

The cookies were a huge hit, and I even had a few left over.  I took it upon myself to eat them so that I could make sure and tell you just how great these were!  Now, next week we will be back to the diet friendly foods...

I hope that you had a wonderful Valentine's day!  I know my children loved all the sugar!!!

So, let me share with you the recipe I use to make just the perfect cookie.  I have been holding on to this recipe for a few years.  A friend shared it with me, and it is supposedly the recipe the Cookie Bouquet uses for their fanciful creations.  I promise you won't be disappointed, and the little kick of Kosher salt is a pleasant surprise!

If you want to make a bouquet, here is a sample photo of one I made for Pickle's class when she was student of the week.  You would know it would have to be ultra girly!!!

Student of the week bouquet...


And because I am a dork, I have a few pictures for you... Not showing every step, but the important ones...

I really measured... since I wasn't making a bouquet, I rolled them to 3/8 inch.  They were really thick cookies.
Using a basic buttercream frosting, I pipe a border around my cookies, and then "flood" them with a thinned down version to get the beautiful smooth finish.

I add corn syrup and half and half to my buttercream frosting to thin it down and then it "floods" the cookies. I wish I could give you exact amounts, but it varies every time based on the humidity.  FYI, it is the secret to get the icing smooth... I learned the hard way. 

Perfectly thinned icing.  It should run, but still have some texture.


Sugar Cookies

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt

Mix together flour and baking powder.  In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Stir in the egg, salt and both extracts.  Mix well.

Slowly add flour mixture, 1 cup at a time.  Mix until well incorporated.  The dough might look a little dry, that is OK, and form together to a disc.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll the dough onto a lightly floured surface to approximately 5/8 inch thick.  Cut the cookies into desired shapes.  Place the cut cookie carefully on a parchment lined cookie sheet.  If you want to make a bouquet, insert a lollipop stick into the cookie.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the edges just begin to turn light golden brown in color.  Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack and allow to finish cooling.

Basic Buttercream Frosting

1 stick butter, softened
1 bag of powdered sugar (2 lbs.)
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Half and Half (about 1/2 cup) but it varies.

Cream butter with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy.  Add powdered sugar, vanilla and almond extracts.  Mix well. Start adding cream, a little at at time. Continue mixing.  If you frosting is too thick, add a little more cream.  Be careful as you can quickly add too much and you will have runny frosting...


No comments:

Post a Comment