Saturday, February 18, 2012

Who is Polly? She sure knew how to make pie!

We'll call this comfort in a cup... Peach Polly Pie!

Today has been one of those days that Pickles just can't wrap her head around.  Everyone we know has two sets of Grandparents and they get to spend lots and lots of time with them.  It makes me sad that she longs for that which she can't have.

She cherished the time she spent with both Scott's Mom, and my Mom.  She loved Nana (my Mom) and loved to do all kinds of fun things with her.  She still talks about the things that they did.

Since MawMaw (Scott's Mom) became ill, she doesn't really know that she has grandchildren.  Some days she loves them, and other days, they never existed.  It makes me sad, because we never know what the day will hold, and even sadder because some of my most cherished memories are with my grandparents.

Scott's Dad has recently began dating a very sweet lady, and Pickles is so excited that she will have a "Grandmother" figure once again.  They stopped by this afternoon, and she has been daydreaming about all the things they can do together.  She can't wait to spend some time playing with Angel. It is amazing how much it touched her that Angel was interested in the little things that she was doing.  Today, it was making potholders with a loom.

The weaving of potholders jolts my memory back to summers in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas with my Grandparents.  I remember my Grammy teaching me to sew.  I think I was about five and we were making clothes for Barbie.  We sat on the floor and cut out scraps of cloth and sewed them together with a needle and thread, because she said I wasn't ready to use a sewing machine.  I still can feel her thimble on my finger as she took precious time to entertain me!  Another time she saved all of her magazines just for me so I could go through them and pull out all of the perfume adds and smell like a cosmetic counter at the department store. I still don't really care for frosting after she allowed me and my sister to "learn" to decorate cakes with an entire batch on the patio.  We had waxed paper on the tables and tried our best decorating.  She never said we couldn't sample our creations, and we both ended up with the worst stomach ache.  No explanation was necessary to Grammy, she already knew why we skipped out on supper!  Oh the fun I had with Grammy!

So, today has been a challenge trying to explain that she has many special friends and that she is loved by many people that consider her one of their Grandchildren.  I would give anything for her to have more time with my Mom, and all they fun stuff they could have come up with!

In memory of my Mom, I made Polly Pie tonight.  I am not sure who Polly was, but she was a wonderful cook. I think that Polly was a neighbor and she made this lovely cobbler and shared the recipe with my family.  This cobbler was Mom's go to dessert when she needed something tasty but didn't have much time to invest in her dessert.  I love this easy and elegant dessert, and the possibilities as vast as your imagination.  Tonight we are having peach, but any fruit works great. I think my favorites are blueberry, blackberry and apple.  I encourage you to try your very best hand at Polly Pie!

My peaches I put up this summer... Don't they look beautiful! Just put them in a little casserole dish.

Sprinkle with a little cinnamon and nutmeg.

Add sugar...

In another bowl mix flour, sugar, and salt...

add a beaten egg...

stir until it is crumbly...


pour it right over the fruit...

Melt one stick of butter and pour it over...

Ready for the oven...

Delicious and ready to eat!!!

Heaven in a cup... Add a little ice cream if you are so inclined...

Polly Pie

2 bags frozen peaches (you can use 2 large cans too... just pour the juice and all in the pan)
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 stick butter

Place peaches in a baking dish.  Sprinkle sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg over the top. Mix together flour, remaining sugar, salt and egg until resembles coarse meal.  Sprinkle over fruit.  Melt butter and pour over the top.  Place in a  350 degree oven and bake for about an hour or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment