Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Wilted Lettuce...My Attempt at Healthy


Wilted Lettuce...2011 version.
 A few weeks ago, while I was swimming in lettuce, I promised to make a batch of wilted lettuce and introduce you to the world of fresh garden vegetable fare my Grammy used to make.  Seeing how I started a new healthier lifestyle, this type of salad didn't seem to fit into the profile.  I stayed true to the very basic ingredients, and just adjusted the quantity.  I made just enough for me to eat, so I didn't think and entire pound of bacon was truly necessary.  I did want to get as close as I could so that I could keep my childhood memory pure.

In my attempt, I fried one slice of bacon until it was crispy.  Added onions for flavor, and let them caramelize.  I then removed the bacon and onions to a plate that had a paper towel to soak up any stray bacon grease that might have found it way out of the pan.  In the pan, I added cider vinegar, spicy mustard, a little sugar, water, salt and pepper.  I brought this mixture to a boil, and poured it so delicately over my fresh lettuce.  Guess what...it wilted.  Not nearly as much as Grammy's, but I didn't have a pound of bacon grease to "fry" the lettuce.

So, I know you are dying to know the outcome.  It was wonderful!  Not nearly as good as Grammy's, but definitely much healthier and lighter.  The warm salad was a great lunch, and if you are counting points with me it had a Points Plus value of 4.  Not to bad when you consider the original had a value of 1,281!

Here is the dressing...not nearly enough to wilt the lettuce, so I added water and brought it back to a boil.

This was a tasty alternative to another cold salad.  I hope you enjoy, and if you like, add more bacon and grease.  It makes it much more tasty, but not so great on the hips!

Until next time,  keep adventuring and looking for joy in the small details of life!

Sarah

Healthier Wilted Lettuce

Fresh leaf lettuce torn into bite size pieces
1 slice of bacon, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup onion, diced
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
salt and pepper to taste

In a small frying pan, cook bacon until fat is rendered out and bacon is crispy.  Add onion and cook until they are softened.  Remove bacon and onion from pan leaving as much bacon fat as possible.  Add remaining ingredients to pan and bring to a boil.  Add bacon and onion mixture to your fresh lettuce, and pour the hot dressing on the lettuce, bacon and onion mixture.  Mix well to combine and wilt your lettuce!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment