Friday, June 17, 2011

Lime and Cilantro in your Salad Bowl

I think I have another confession to make.  I embarked on an adventure of the eating variety. I tried a new combination of herbs for a salad dressing and it was amazing!  It would have been even better if I had the correct ingredients to use with this dressing, but it was a fun spin on the dinner salad.



I am bored with salad.  It doesn't take me long when I eat something every day.  Lately I have made balsamic vinaigrette, Caesar, ginger garlic and a buttermilk ranch.  Then I had an idea...what about cilantro and lime.  I had just purchased a bunch of cilantro and needed to find a use for it.  I have found I love cilantro.  I used to think it tasted like dish soap, but now I love it. I guess it grew on me and my taste buds.  Anyway, I love lime, and what better combination than lime and cilantro.  So , I didn't have any avocado or tomatoes, but I did have some strawberries. A little strange, but stay with me here.

Once I got over the phobia of fruit on a salad, I love it!  I will often put oranges, apples, strawberries, cranberries or dried cherries on a salad.  It gives it that unexpected bite of sweetness.  I also like to add a little bit of a nice blue or feta cheese, but I am out of that too.  The beautiful part of a salad is it can be changed to fit your mood.  Toasted nuts are another must for me. I have become fond of pine nuts in addition to pecans and almonds.  Don't go overboard as the nuts can add calories very fast, but they are a great crunch.

As strange as my salad was, it ended up delicious.  Scott thought I was crazy, but I promise, just trying to be healthier.  If you are counting Points with me, the only ingredient you have to count is the oil.  Therefore if you use only 1 teaspoon of olive oil, it is only 1 point.  I hope you enjoy as much as I did.

Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette

1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon lime zest
Lime juice from 1/2 of a lime
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste.

Place all ingredients into a bowl and whisk until combined. Pour over your salad, or toss with all ingredients.

Until next time, keep adventuring and looking for joy in the small details of life!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment