Monday, March 26, 2012

Time Flies!

I don't know where the last month has gone, but I am sorry for not posting.  OK, I do know.  To catch everyone up, I decided to go back to school to get my teaching certificate.  Since our Little Man will start 3K this year, I thought it appropriate to do something while they are at school.  I am excited about the opportunity, and have five (5) weeks left!  It is so different when you go back to school as a parent.  I am stressed if I don't make a 100% on everything!  Where was this motivation when I was an undergrad?

Well, I am briefly caught up, and thought I would get you caught up on all the other things going on in our world.  Spring is here, and we have planted our corn garden.  Yes, you read that right, we have an entire garden planted to corn.  I counted as I was planting seeds, and I think there are 557.  If all of this corn makes, we will definitely have corn coming out of our ears! Bada bing... So friends, here is your invite, when it gets ripe, please help take some off of my hands!

Our tomatoes were late getting started, but they are up and have their first set of leaves.  Hopefully they will grow fast, and we can get the other garden planted.  Everything will be at the farm this year, and Scott is getting ready to till it up.  He has a new toy, a 7 foot tiller, so it will giant!  I can't wait to enjoy all of this fresh produce!

I have started an entire little greenhouse full of herbs.  I can't wait to share some little plants with my friends, and have my herb garden fully stocked.  I am thinking about an entire hedge of rosemary, so hopefully we can get this house sold and find a new house and my rosemary dream can become a reality!

Today, I went out to burn our burn pile with all the sticks we have picked up in the backyard, and I came across this pumpkin from last fall.  We grew pumpkins and they were all over the front porch.  When it came time to clean them up, I just threw them on the burn pile.  I hoped they would burn, or compost.  I thought this was really cool when I saw this little plant emerging from the cracked shell.

So, I saw this little sprout in the hull of a charred pumpkin...

I broke away the shell, only to reveal there are lots of little sprouts.

This is just awesome to me.  It is amazing how life can continue even after being charred.  
So, I now have a dilemma whether or not to transplant these little pumpkins, or to just see what happens.  If I transplant them now, we will have pumpkins around July. I guess that is not a bad thing as I can puree it and can it for later use.  Just a thought.

Just as life can grow out of a charred pumpkin, there are no feats we can't accomplish when God is on our side.  Just a little motivation for the morning.

I hope you all have a fabulous day and enjoy nature around you!

Until next time, keep adventuring and looking for joy in the small details of life!

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. We are trying the square foot gardening concept this year. We have a small fortune invested in the new garden space. (basically all the money Mom gave me for Christmas is my new garden...thanks Mom!!) I will try to post pics on facebook to share. I a pretty proud so far, if all the plants produce we will have food running out of our ears! (except corn...wonder if I have a friend who would share? lol) Soooo I have decided that if this goes well I will invest in a pressure canner, kinda scared of that but if women have used them for ages I think I can too. I have a nice sized rosemary and when it rains the whole yard smells like it...I would love to see what a row would be like. So jealous of having a farm, I miss it terribly but just can't convince the city boy hubbie to leave. Sigh

    ReplyDelete