Monday, July 11, 2011

Summer Loving

There is nothing to remind you of the sultry days of summer quite like the fresh produce I am able to pick out of my garden.  This year is no different.  We have an abundance of cucumbers and are just starting to pick green beans.  The cantaloupes are almost ready, and if the coon's don't eat it all, we might have corn.  Due to our extended spring, the tomatoes aren't quite ready, but I need to prepare myself now, because when they start to ripen, we will have a truckload!

I truly have a love-hate relationship with my garden.  I love all the sweat and work that goes in on the front end. There is something so therapeutic about getting dirt under your fingernails! Then you get to watch patiently while your plants grown and mature, and begin to bear fruit.  I think that I worry about the pests in my garden more than I worry about any other individual topic.  I also love to eat the fruit, that is for about the first week! The girls think I am crazy when I suggest that for every snack they eat a cucumber.  Yesterday, Makenzie took me up on my offer, and ate one whole.  Like an extra long pickle from a concession stand.  Needless to say, her tummy was upset when she finished.

We have had cucumbers just about every way you can imagine.  Plain, with ranch dressing, with balsamic dressing, with oriental vinegar and sugar, with dill dip and now they are soaking to be pickles!  I guess it is a good thing that we love cucumbers, and hopefully we have made our diet a little healthier!

Yesterday was the first time we picked enough green beans to make a "mess."  I like green beans, but there are only so many you can enjoy boiled until they are tender.  I made a pan of green beans tonight, and I guess it is a success if they kids eat them and ask for seconds!



An alternative to boiled green beans!  Delicious!

Here is how you make them.  Saute the raw, snapped green beans in a little bit of olive oil.  Once they start to turn a dark green, add a little chicken broth to the pan to make it about an 1/8 inch on the bottom.  Sprinkle the beans with garlic and a little Greek seasoning.  Gently toss and allow the green beans to steam until they are tender and the broth has reduced.  I am very careful to stir or toss gently with tongs as not to open the pods and expose the bean. If they are not tender when all the broth has reduced, add a little more and cook until they are the desired texture.  We like ours tender-crisp.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

I wish I could give you a more specific recipe, but it is really that simple, and will vary based on the pan and amount of green beans you need to feed your family.

Until next time, keep adventuring and looking for joy in the small details of life!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment