Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Summer is Close...A Healthy Lifestyle is Mandatory

As the temperatures warm, I am constantly reminded that summer will be here before we know it, and it will be time to wear a swimming suit.  I am excited about summer, but not so much about wearing a swimming suit.  I know many of my friends feel this way as well, so I have decided to let you help me stay on task.

Cupcakes are out, and fruit and vegetables are in.  I know...boring.  I will try and keep this fun and lively as I get bored with food really fast.  I might even throw in the occasional cupcake, but not daily.  To help me on this journey, I rejoined Weight Watchers.  I have had great success in the past on the plan, and know that I can do this again. 

It is amazing how much less you mindlessly snack when you have to write down everything you put in your mouth!  If I gain nothing from this experience, I know that if I consistently journal, I will eat better. Nothing like looking back and seeing that you felt bad and ate only junk!  I started this adventure yesterday, and have been able to exercise both yesterday and today.  I am so thankful the Little Man loves to be in his stroller.  That is, if the stroller is in motion.  If I am running, he is even happier, and quite the little encourager. Today, he kept saying, "Go faster, Mommy!" 

Personally, I do much better sticking to a healthy eating plan when I am prepared.  Part of my preparation involved making some all vegetable soup.  I know it is hot outside, but vegetable soup can take the edge off of hunger and help to keep you full. So, today for lunch, I made a batch of soup, and I am surprised at how much I have missed it.  I based the recipe on the one provided by Weight Watchers, but used what I had on hand.   If you too are trying to adopt a healthy eating lifestyle, this soup is a great filler, and lots of fiber!



Guiltless Vegetable Soup

1 onion, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon chicken bullion
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
4 cups water
1 zucchini, chopped
1 bag Brussels sprouts

In a large saucepan, combine onion, celery and carrots.  Cook over medium heat, covered and stirring occasionally, until onions are soft.  Add bullion, garlic powder, pepper and water and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for about 10 minutes.  Stir in Brussels sprouts and zucchini and cook for 5 minutes more.  Enjoy!

Until next time, keep adventuring and looking for joy in the small details of life!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment