Monday, September 26, 2016

Love From the Kitchen

Have you ever smelled something and it instantly took you back to another time.  A few weeks ago, I was shopping in the mall and a sweet little old lady walked passed me and she smelled exactly like my Grammy.  The smell of her perfume made me long for those wonderful conversations in Grammy's kitchen and the beautiful relationship we shared.  I will always cherish the times we shared, and for that moment, the sweet little old lady in the mall made Grammy seem so close.  I know, its a little bit strange, but smells have a way of bringing things back.

The smell of cinnamon rolls reminds me of when times were simpler.  Times when life was all about the present, when there were no cares or worried.  When things were only face value and nothing more.  When I was a little girl, I can remember going to my Great Granny Flo's house and the entire kitchen was filled with pans and pans of cinnamon rolls.  She told us that she made these for her "football boys."  You see, she was a retired school librarian.  She lived in a little white house, with a little tiny kitchen and had really long silver hair.  I never saw it down, because she kept it braided and in a bun that was on the outside of her head. Not a tight topknot, but a long braid wrapped three times around her whole head.  I can remember being fascinated by her hair and asking her questions about how long it took to brush, how did she get it all washed and dried and brushed?  You know, little girls with tangles don't like to brush their hair much, and Granny Flo had this down to an art! Its funny how the thought of her making all those cinnamon rolls in that tiny kitchen makes me think about the love she had for her students, even after she retired.  While I was not extremely close with Granny Flo, I knew she loved me and the smell of cinnamon rolls reminds me of her love.

This week, I made cinnamon rolls.  Not the scratch kind, but the kind you by that are frozen and you simply rise and bake... Yes, even I need a shortcut once in a while.  While they were well received, I was not happy with the final product.  I knew I could do better and just needed to try.  I have my Granny Flo's cinnamon roll recipe, and thought maybe that was the answer.  I have made her recipe many times, and they are very, very good.  I decided however to try a different one, just for good measure. You see, not everyone needs, or wants a recipe that feeds the entire football team!  So, this time I tried a copycat recipe for Cinnabon.  Just like everything else in my life, I made it my own and while they aren't gluten free, I didn't taste them, but those that tried one, loved them! This recipe made 16 cinnamon rolls, but could make 12 just as well.



Cinnamon Rolls


Dough

1 packet yeast
4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1/3 cup butter
2 eggs, beaten
cooking oil

Filling

1/3 cup butter softened
1 cup brown sugar
3 Tbsp Cinnamon

Mix yeast, flour, salt and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. (If you don't have a stand mixer, its OK, just put it in a really big bowl.)

In a microwaveable bowl, or saucepan, melt butter, (I use the microwave) and add milk to make a milky buttery mixture.  Warm to lukewarm. It's very important your milk and butter mixture aren't too hot, as it will kill the yeast. Add the eggs to the milk and butter and stir well.

Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and mix well.  If using a stand mixer, use the dough hook.  Knead the dough until it is well mixed and the dough has a bit of elasticity.

Place the dough ball in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.  Allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.  (My oven light gives off quite a bit of heat.  I turn my light on before I start the mixing process and it is fairly warm by rise time.  I put my dough in the slightly warm oven to rise.)

Once the dough has doubled in size, punch it down and knead 2-3 times.

On a clean, floured surface, roll the dough into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.  The rectangle should be about 12 x 18 inches.  In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon for the filling. Spread the softened butter over the entire dough.  Sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture over the butter layer.

Starting at the long end, roll the dough up to make a cinnamon roll.

Cut the log into 1 inch slices.  I use waxed dental floss for this as it makes a cleaner cut.  You can also use a bread knife, just be very careful not to push down and squish your beautiful cinnamon rolls.

Place the slices on a greased or parchment paper lined 9 x 13 inch pan.  You can use disposable pans if you are going to give these away. (If you need to, these can be frozen at this point and allowed to rise before baking.) Allow to rise once more until double in size.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes.  Watch carefully as you don't want them to over brown. When the cinnamon rolls are finished baking, your house will smell amazing!  Allow them to cool slightly and then ice with the icing below.

Cream Cheese Icing


3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp cream cheese
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Melt the butter and cream cheese together.  Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and stir well.  Spread over the warm cinnamon rolls.

I hope you enjoy these as much as my family has. I am reminded how precious memories are and how sharing these stories is important for you children as well. My Chloe is so fascinated with history and the personal story around the event.  Maybe one day soon, we will drive to Westville and look for the little white house and she will be able to imagine Granny Flo in her little, tiny kitchen sharing her love with so many!

Until next time, keep adventuring and looking for joy in the small details of life!

Sarah






No comments:

Post a Comment