Monday, November 28, 2011

Project Christmas Presents

Wow, where has the month of November gone?  As I sit here, it is snowing in Mississippi!  You read that right, snowing and it is not even December yet.  I think snow is pretty, but love for it to pay us a visit when it really accumulates and sticks around for a few days.

Tonight's snow reminds me that Christmas is right around the corner.  Much closer than I would like to admit, and I must get a move on making the handmade gifts I love to give.  I have found that many of our friends are very hard to buy for.  You know the kind that if they want it, they buy it.  Instead of trying to satisfy everyone and stress myself out, I resorted to my creativity.  For several years, I have been making and giving candy and treats.  During my corporate tenure, I sent a box of homemade treats to my very favorite clients.  I have learned that everyone loves a homemade treat, and it doesn't have to be candy.

One of Scott's former coworkers has come to expect his annual treat box.  Scott shared some of our homemade pickles with him, and he fell in love.  So, every year I pack up a box of pickles and jams and send it to him in New Jersey. This box is the perfect gift for the person who has everything!

I share this with you, not because I expect you to channel your inner Martha Stewart, but to encourage you to try your hand at a homemade gift.  Last week, I made a few batches of apple butter, and sweet potato butter and put them in little jars. The apple butter is super easy and is made in the crock pot.  How much easier can you get than that.  It makes the house smell delicious, which is an added bonus.

I put my apple butter in my pressure cooker, but you can simply put it in a large stockpot and boil it in a water bath.  I challenge you to give it a try and see how you do.

In the next few weeks, I plan to share ideas for gifts from the kitchen. If you happen to have access to baby food jars, you are sitting on a gold mine, and they are the perfect container for dip mixes.  I have many friends that spend a fortune on the mixes in the boutique shops, and this is an economical alternative.

Another great idea is to make a hot chocolate, spiced tea or coffee mix and give an individual portion  along with a coffee mug from the dollar store.  It seems like this time of year, you can never have too many little happies to give.

I am excited to share these recipes with you.  Some will be savory and some sweet.  I hope you check back and see what I am cooking up in the kitchen!

Apple Butter... Ready to pack into gift boxes

This is where we started.  These bags of apples were on sale for $0.69 a pound.  I think all these apples were about $12.

First, you peel, core and quarter your apples.


Add 3 cups of sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.

Try and carefully stir to coat, and add 1/2 cup of apple juice. Cook on low for eight to ten hours.

I forgot to take a final picture, but it looks just like this.  Dark, and falling apart.  Stir well, and ladle into hot , sterilized jars.  Process according to manufacturers directions.

Apple Butter

3 pound apples, peeled and cored
3 cups sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup apple juice

Place apples in a crock pot and add remaining ingredients.  Stir to evenly coat. (As best you can.)  Turn crock pot on low and cook for eight to ten hours, or overnight. If the apple butter is juicy, remove the lid and turn the crock pot to high, allowing moisture to evaporate.

Once you have achieved the proper consistency, ladle into hot, sterilized jars.  Be sure to clean jars well with a clean cloth and place lids and bands on jars.  I processed mine for 10 minutes in a pressure caner, but you can process for 10 minutes in a water bath.  See canning procedures by Ball if you have questions regarding canning.

I hope you enjoy sending some love from your kitchen. I promise the recipient will be delighted to receive you gift!

Until next time, keep adventuring and looking for joy in the small details of life!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment